Windows have a pivotal role in the overall well being of a household. They are responsible for:
- Allowing natural light to enter the home
- Regulating air flow
- Contributing to the energy efficiency of the home
- Providing security
- Increasing the aesthetic appeal
Hence, when the time to replace old or damaged windows arrives, you need to make sure you are making the right choice of windows. Unfortunately, homeowners tend to make mistakes when buying replacement windows; errors that often lead to the rise of problems in the future.
Are you a home or building owner looking to buy replacement windows for your premises?
Well, you are in the right place. We have conducted a great deal of research into the most common mistakes consumers make when buying new windows. We have gone a step further and identified three of these mistakes as the most frequent among window buyers.
We have come to the understanding that these mistakes not only affect the quality of windows you buy, but they also lead to costly inconveniences.
If you want to learn about the three common mistakes of buying windows, keep reading.
1. Failure to Make Adequate Considerations
Purchasing new windows is a longterm investment to your property. Like any other investment, it is necessary to consider all the factors that come with the investment.
Unfortunately, many consumers are only interested in the cost of their new windows. As a result, they ignore all other factors that are as important as the price. In most cases, they are only trying to save money on the total costs of the new windows but like the saying goes, cheap is expensive.
For example, a consumer will overlook energy efficient windows and buy regular windows based on the price difference. There is no doubt that energy efficient windows cost more, but they save you money in the long run.
When the peak of winter or summer arrives, temperatures get extremely cold and warm respectively. Hence, you will have your air conditioner running full time. This will drive your electric bill higher.
Had you considered the benefits of energy efficiency of windows, this would not be the case.
There are numerous factors to consider when buying replacement windows. For a more elaborate description of these factors, have a look at this window buying guide.
2. Failing to Acknowledge the Maintenance Required
If you have any experience with old windows, you are aware of the challenges and commitments involved in window maintenance.
For first time homeowners, this is an area they have no clue about. The first time a homeowner replaces their windows, the primary ideal in their minds is the aesthetic appeal of their windows. Unfortunately, they do not take the time to investigate the sort of maintenance required to ensure the windows keep their appeal and functionality.
Wooden and steel windows need regular repainting and cleaning to keep their luster. Occasionally, you have to hire a window cleaner to wash your windows unless you are willing to climb rickety ladders and do it yourself. Furthermore, because windows get regularly exposed to the elements, they need to get caulked periodically to seal any openings that have developed.
All the above measures translate to investing time, energy and money into the windows. If you are not up to the task below are your options for minimal maintenance windows.
- You can choose aluminum, vinyl or clad wood windows in place of wood and steel windows. This is because aluminum, vinyl and clad wood do not lose their appeal. Hence, there is no need to repaint the windows now and then.
- Casement and Tilt-in sash windows are easy to clean. Therefore, you do not have to hire a window washer to clean the outer parts of the windows.
- You can also choose to buy windows that have anti dust coatings. These coatings facilitate for the rain to wash away the dirt without your assistance.
Window maintenance can become a daunting task if you do not factor it in when making the purchase. Hence, before settling for particular window design, ensure you comprehend its maintenance requirements.
3. Refusing to Hire a Professional to Install the Windows
How hard can installing replacement windows be?
Well, it’s not that hard. However, the quality of work done is essential to the longevity of the new windows.
With an elaborate youtube video, you can learn how to install windows in a matter of minutes. Unfortunately, your newly acquired skill doesn’t match that of a seasoned window installer.
How well do you reckon a first timer can caulk their windows?
In such a case, you are poorly sealing the windows which guarantees that elements such as water will gain entry. In the case of wooden windows, the water could lead to the gradual development of molds and decay. Eventually, you will have to replace the window again.
If you do not hire a window installer, you also miss out on the benefits of a warranty. In case a shoddy job gets done, or you are not pleased with the quality of windows, the warranty guarantees a redo of the work at no extra costs.
When you perform an inferior installation job, you have to incur the costs of redoing the job again. Hence you pay double for your mistake.
Hiring professional guarantees a top notch job plus an insurance policy should any issues arise after the job gets done.
Don’t Make These Common Mistakes When Buying Replacement Windows
There are many other mistakes involved when buying replacement windows. However, the above three are the most frequent among homeowners. Below are a few other errors worth mentioning:
- Buying windows not suitable to the climate conditions of the area
- Overlooking the security efficiency of the windows
- Using the same type of window replacements
- Purchasing and installing a different sized replacement window
- Failing to vet the window vendor
- Failing to vet the quality of the windows based on the manufacturer
Buying new windows is an investment in your house, and thus due diligence is recommended. Before settling on any window, ensure you have considered all the above points. This will enable you to make an informed decision that you will not regret.
Are you looking for a reliable and trustworthy window vendor? Get in touch with us and let us assist you in buying the best quality replacement windows
Latest posts by Warmseal Editor (see all)
- What Is a Composite Door: Everything You Need to Know - July 3, 2019
- How Energy Efficient Windows Help Reduce Your Utility Bills in NE - July 3, 2019
- 10 Wonderful Design Ideas for Orangeries - July 3, 2019