PVCu windows and doors are gaining popularity, and their demand is growing. Their global market is expected to exceed $47 billion by 2024. Positive construction spending and renovation are some of the factors influencing market growth.
PVCu windows are the latest innovations, referring to a form of plastic that offers excellent performance and longevity. Derived from the solid form of polyvinyl chloride, this unplasticised PVC is ideal for pipework and window frames.
Read on to learn more!
Why Use PVCu for Windows?
One of the reasons many people are choosing PVCu windows is because of its excellent performance and durability. It also requires very little maintenance and is easy to clean. Apart from the few times around the year that you must clean the windows, you can leave them to look after themselves.
PVCu is globally recognised for its thermal efficiency, great value for money, and sound insulation. They are great for energy efficiency, and installing them can help reduce heating costs. For larger sections, galvanised steel is used to enhance the strength and durability of PVCu windows.
This way, the windows won’t warp, rust, or rot. For their resilience, strength, and robustness, these windows provide a lot of reliability in matters of security.
PVCu windows are easy to install and cost relatively less than timber and aluminium windows. However, the costs vary depending on the features of the windows.
How to Clean PVCu Windows
Since PVCu windows are low maintenance, they’re also effortless to clean. Despite being suitable for most homes and every type of weather, they’re prone to getting dirty. Grime and dust will build up on the windows, and it’s only fair that you know how to clean them spotless.
Here’s how to achieve the best results while cleaning.
- Open the windows as far as they can go and remove any loose dirt by vacuuming. Don’t leave out the hinges or opening mechanism. You can use a soft brush instead to avoid scratching the PVCu windows.
- Using some warm soapy water and some soft cloth, wipe the dirty windows. Avoid using scouring pads or cream cleansers since they can remove the glossy finish. Without the gloss, the windows lose their aesthetic factor.
- Remove any excess water from the windows and use a dry cloth to dry them completely. Ensure the fabric is soft to avoid making abrasive marks on the windows. To be on the safe side, use kitchen napkins or a tea towel.
As a tip, mix two cups of water with a quarter cup of vinegar and half a cup of liquid soap. In the mixture, lightly dip some pieces of newspaper and use it to wipe the windows. This will remove all stubborn dirt spots, smears, or wax.
Cleaning PVCu Window Frames
When dirt and grime build up on PVCu windows, they lose their shine and lustre. You can still bring the window frames back to their original look using some locally available cleaning ingredients. For the best results
- Mix 4 cups of hot water with 1 cup of vinegar.
- Pour the mixture into a sprayer.
- Spray it on the uPVC frames and leave it to stand for about 10 minutes.
- Using a clean, smooth, and dry cloth, wipe own the frames to remove any excess liquid.
If this sounds like a long process, baby wipes can do the trick just as perfectly. Remember they’re ideal for cleaning most delicate things and produce the desired results.
Avoid using cream-cleaners or harsh cleaning solutions since they’ll scrape off the top layer. They’ll tamper with the glossy finish that gives the frames their luxurious look.
If these cleaning solutions aren’t strong enough for your case, go for specialist uPVC cleaning products.
Cleaning the Window Sills
You’ve not done all the cleaning if you’ve not cleaned the window sills. In most cases, all you need is an occasional wipe with warm and soapy water. For an intense cleaning session
- Get a bucket of warm soapy water
- Dip a soft cloth or sponge and use it to wipe down the dirty frame
- Use a soft dry cloth to remove excess water and dry the sills.
- Avoid using cream cleaners or abrasives.
Keep your PVCu windows free from grime and stubborn dirt by making it a habit to clean them often.
What to Avoid When Cleaning PVCu Windows
For the best results and to maintain your window’s natural look, there are things you need to observe. To begin with, avoid applying too much pressure as you clean. Too much pressure could tamper with the quality of the windows.
Besides, you may also scratch the windows by applying too much pressure. You also need to avoid using bleach and harsh washing detergents in cleaning the windows. Jif and Cif cream cleaner types are abrasive and will rip the windows of their glossy look.
Methylated spirits, white spirits, and nail varnish removers are also harsh on PVCu windows. Don’t fall for the tips that advise you to use these products to remove stubborn stains. Above all, you shouldn’t use scouring pads, whether on the frames, windows, or sills.
Final Thoughts on PVCu Windows
Many homeowners are choosing PVCu windows over the traditional glass types. This decision is influenced by the many benefits that the windows provide. The qualities of the windows make them durable, versatile, and easy to maintain.
In matters of maintenance, the main issue of concern is observing cleanliness. Traditional window types made from glass can be quite challenging to clean. With PVCu windows though, you don’t have to break a sweat to make them shine.
With every day locally available ingredients and materials, you can maintain the gloss and shiny nature of your windows. Warm soapy water mixed with some vinegar will do the trick. For the extra shine, use old newspapers for the task
As you clean the windows, don’t forget the frames of the windows. The more regularly you do the cleaning, the fewer the chances that you’ll be dealing with tough stains at any time.
If you have any questions, be sure to reach out to our team.
Latest posts by Warmseal Editor (see all)
- What Is a Composite Door: Everything You Need to Know - July 3, 2019
- How Energy Efficient Windows Help Reduce Your Utility Bills in NE - July 3, 2019
- 10 Wonderful Design Ideas for Orangeries - July 3, 2019